Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: which aftermarket shocks are best?  (Read 2850 times)
CrazyCat420

newby from GA, on a DVX 400

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2005, 07:56:26 PM »

Out of all the after market shocks out there which ones are the best for the money yet at the same time best for all types of riding???  and with that resivor or no remote resivore??  These will be for an DVX 400 oh and if it matters I am around 140-145 lbs
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 08:03:15 PM by CrazyCat420 » Logged
T2
Supreme Member

It's Better To Be The Predator Than the Prey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 05:50:22 AM »

I think I will leave that question to Dreth, He is the shock king. Not trying to throw you under the bus Bro, you just know your shocks. Wink
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 07:58:15 AM by tony » Logged

SLOW450R

its new, but its still slow!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 07:06:49 AM »

CUSTOM AXIS, PEP and ELKA elites are all great shocks.  Your higher end shocks will all have resivors, and will be compression and rebound adjustable.  Fronts will be triple rate for standard length and quad rate for long travel both will have some sort of zero preload setup.  Rears will be at least dual rate with compression and rebound and should also be zero preload.

In suspension the only limiting factor is you checkbook.  There are so many ways to go now a days, you just have to decide what type of riding you will be primarly doing and then how much money you want to spend.  If you are a recreational rider you can get something like Works, TCS, lower end elka or PEPs.  The new works are supposed to be pretty good.  These will all be an supreme upgrade from stock and are rebuildable and upgradeable down the road.  

I have PEP's and they are great, you will hear some people say bad things about getting them, but if you call Mark Baldwin at Baldwin Motorsports he will take care of you and he is a stand up guy.  Elka's service is great, and rarely do you hear someone say something bad, but some people feel you lose the "custom" setup options.  I feel that ELKA is quickly catching the other two due to the number of shocks that they are selling and tuning.  All this being said my next set will probably be an AXIS long travel setup on +1 arms. I race cross country by the way.  Many of the top GNCC riders are now using Axis. If you are going MX get with Dreth, he has great info on the MX stuff

if you want more specific answers feel free to ask

03 400 EX.........best pit/practice bike ever
04 450R............a slow quad for an even slower rider!!
FTR #5 A-OPEN

Special Thanks to ATP Racing and my 05-06 Sponsors
www.allterrainperformance.com ...................407-880-3171
Powermadd Handguards
VelociRaptor350

Pinellas Park, FL

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 07:48:21 AM »

My friend just put works shocks on his banshee, they are steelers with rezzies up front, dual rate, and i think a quad star in the back, man what a difference, its night and day.  Its not a full competition setup but for trailriding its great.

'05 Raptor 350
Its Slow but it Handles

www.YFM350Central.com
spectech

XC"er

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 09:33:12 AM »

I had elka's front and rear and with their linkage on my KFX and wasn't all that impressed. I just ordered axis long travel with the ars/fx arms. I also race harscrambles.

07 YFZ'S
Ftr Vet. Quad #8

Spring Hill
dreth

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 02:33:25 PM »

thanks guys for putting the pressure on me Wink im no pro , i just know the feeling my elkas made over the stockers.
im an elka guy and all i can say is that you will be amazed Shocked.
there tech support is top notch. the turnaround time is top notch and in my opinion shocks are top notch.
if your a trail rider you can stick with standard travel fronts and long travel rear( link). if you ever plan on motor cross i would go long travel front and rear.
like was earlier stated........your only limited by your check book Wink
it was worth every penny and i would not hesitate to tell you to spend the money either because i know you will be satisfied.
this is a very debatable issue because its a brand and opinion thing and my opinion is ELKAS Grin
you can not even imagine the difference untill you have ridden on them for a few days then ride the same bike with the stock set up on it.
any specifics you want to know i will help  you if i can
yamadooski
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 06:14:20 PM »

I just ordered Elkas Elite.
I was torn between the Elkas and the Axis.
I also race GNCC and FTR XC.

Obamma smells and if you voted for him you are a COMMY #$$$hole
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com