Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: clutch cover failures- '05 & '06 LTZ/KFX/DVX 400 owners LOOK HERE!!!  (Read 35988 times)
apkkfx400

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2006, 09:18:46 AM »

If this has already been posted I apologize-but mods please make this a pinned/sticky topic!!!

check out this info at this website-be prepared-this sucks!

http://www.z400central.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=52767&st=750

Before I put my exhaust on and drained the coolant, my coolant was discolored.  Once I get out of work tonight, I'm going to check mine out and I'll let y'all know!

Mark

« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 01:59:51 PM by apkkfx400 » Logged
eric
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 03:09:13 AM »

Let me know what you find. Here is what one person from z400central sent to Suzuki

If you want to send a letter to Suzuki, please send it to the attention of Brad Wright. He is the manager at the customer service department. If all the letter go across the same desk, it would help.

In case you need an idea of what the letter should say, here is what I am sending to them. Feel free to cut and paste to suit your needs!

December 13th, 2005

Dear Suzuki,

I am the owner of a 2005 LT Z400, VIN ( your VIN here ). It was purchased in March of this year. I recently learned about a problem where the magnesium clutch cover is deteriorating due to the incompatibility with the factory coolant.

I inspected my Z400 on 12/9/05 and discovered the same problem ALL the 2005 LT Z400’s and KFX400’s are facing. Thus far, there have not been ANY owners of the 2005 models that did not report deterioration to some degree. If left unchecked, the coolant will eventually leak into the engine oil and cause catastrophic damage to the engine.

I feel that this issue that MUST warrant a recall. There are several online forums I have been checking in reference to this problem. There are many very unhappy LTZ and KFX owners demanding that Suzuki addresses this issue and declares this to be a manufacturing defect. Either the clutch cover should not be made of magnesium, or the factory should use coolant which does not react with magnesium.

Here are a few of URL’s I recommend you visit:

Here is a picture of my own quad.
http://members.cox.net/craven_morehead/quad/clutchcover.jpg

Here is a link to the Z400 Central forum discussing the topic. Please note that there are over 5000 views of this forum and countless pictures and complaints of owners finding the same problem.
http://www.z400central.com/invision/index....showtopic=52767

Here is a link to the Glamis Dunes forum discussing the topic.
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index....showtopic=61754

Other owners are spreading the word to ATV magazines and other online forums. This issue will continue to gain more attention as word spreads for everyone to inspect their quads. The right thing for Suzuki to do is to show that they stand behind their product 100%. I had several choices when deciding which quad to buy. I sincerely hope you do not make me regret choosing Suzuki over your competitors. Your actions on this issue will determine my future ATV purchases as well.

My quad is currently in the service department at Town and Country Motorsports in Chandler, Arizona for this issue. Please have someone contact me directly. I would like to be continually updated as to what Suzuki plans to do.

Sincerely,

Name
Address
Phone
Email address
apkkfx400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 11:46:44 AM »

Called Kawasaki consumer service and they advised me to take into the dealer which I purchased it from.  They did advise to not take the clutch cover off and to have the dealer contact them when they did.  I took it into today and let the service consultant know the details of the problem-he had not heard of this concern before-so I'll post any info as it comes to me!!

TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 09:24:24 PM »

One of my friends has a 2005 Z400. He has had it since January 05. Luckily I'm a nut when it comes to not being able to leave anything a lone. The week he brought it home we drained and flushed the cooling system and filled it with Engine Ice. Hopefully it won't react with the cover. I'm going to call Engine Ice on the issue and see what they have to say.

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
eric
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 02:21:26 AM »

http://www.petitiononline.com/696z400/petition.html
eric
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 12:38:16 AM »

Took mine to Cycle Riders in Longwood today. The technician said I was not the first person to bring in a z400 for this reason. He asked me if I had seen any discoloration in my coolant as this would mean more serious problems were already in affect. They did not tell me if everything would be covered as far as costs but said later this week they would open it up the see if there is any damage and take pics and report it to the factory to see. I am just sort of amazed that no Suzuki owners are being notified about this but we are finding out through atv forums online Huh
apkkfx400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 07:14:25 AM »

Well I figure the manufacturer(s) are trying to come up with a cheap and quick way to fix this issue but could be making the issue worse by taking so long to come up with that fix!!  I dropped mine off last Tuesday and has yet to be looked at-service dept is slammed.
eric
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 01:53:49 AM »

Wonder how long before the people who don't know start to have major problems or see their motors start blowing up?
kfx400rob
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 06:54:47 AM »

last time i changed my oil i saw no coolent in it

06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.
apkkfx400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 08:04:44 AM »

last time i changed my oil i saw no coolent in it

If it has a magnesium cover-which it does, you have a problem.  The dealership called me late Friday to tell me they were waiting to hear back from Kawasaki to find out what is covered and how to submit for warranty being that I'm about 8 months out of factory warranty.
apkkfx400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 08:09:20 AM »

Found out yesterday they (dealership/Kawasaki) are replacing the magnesium clutch cover with an aluminum cover due to erosion on the inside of the clutch cover.  They won't have it done 'til next week but better than finding out the problem when the coolant mixes w/the oil and leaves ya stranded somewhere.
kfx400rob
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 08:17:45 AM »

is it just the facory coolent thats doing that? cuz i changed my coolent about three months after i got mine to put the new pipe on and iv had no problems

and my brother replaced the clutch on his recently and there was no problems in there.

and we both have the magnesium cover

06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 09:12:57 AM »

yea, i just put a new clutch in and the coolent didnt eat threw...
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 09:35:02 AM »

Found out yesterday they (dealership/Kawasaki) are replacing the magnesium clutch cover with an aluminum cover due to erosion on the inside of the clutch cover.  They won't have it done 'til next week but better than finding out the problem when the coolant mixes w/the oil and leaves ya stranded somewhere.

How long have you had you quad?

apkkfx400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 10:54:37 AM »

Bought in February '05.
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 12:56:30 PM »

Does anyone have the part # for the updated aluminum plate?

eric
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 06:09:09 PM »

OK, I called Suzuki today and they took mine apart. Said there was no problem with anything so I should have mine back by Monday. I might change out the anti-freeze to one that is compatable with magnesium to be safe.
apkkfx400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 11:45:24 AM »

Just a heads up Eric-Cycle sports center took mine apart and didn't find anything.  I work less than 5 min from that dealership and drove down while they had it apart-sure enough they was erosion on the clutch plate cover (not sure why they didn't find it).  They are still waiting for the aluminum clutch cover to come in but Kawasaki said to replace it under warranty!!
greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2006, 12:45:40 PM »

Does anyone know if this affects the 2003 models?
apkkfx400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2006, 02:33:17 PM »

No, it doesn't affect '03-the 2003 models came with an aluminum clutch cover-'05 and '06 comes with a magnesium clutch cover and that's what they are replacing the 2005 and '06 models.
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2006, 03:16:44 PM »

so kawi will gime an aluminum 1 for free, my warenty is up but is it under recal... mine is an 05
apkkfx400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2006, 04:06:30 PM »

so kawi will gime an aluminum 1 for free, my warenty is up but is it under recal... mine is an 05

You've got to call Kawasaki-you'll have to check the phone # on Kawasaki website-it's not a recall at this time.

Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2006, 04:44:27 PM »

You've got to call Kawasaki-you'll have to check the phone # on Kawasaki website-it's not a recall at this time.

ok, well whene i changed my clutch out it seemed fine but its not that old, it mite still carode? idk ill call them and c if i can get one for free
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 04:15:55 PM »

I will be taking my friends 05 Z400 a part this week. I will post my findings.

eric
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 05:50:25 PM »

Just a heads up Eric-Cycle sports center took mine apart and didn't find anything.  I work less than 5 min from that dealership and drove down while they had it apart-sure enough they was erosion on the clutch plate cover (not sure why they didn't find it).  They are still waiting for the aluminum clutch cover to come in but Kawasaki said to replace it under warranty!!

You were right Mark. The service department manager called me today and said after everything had dried up and they were about to put it back together they noticed corrosion. The part will be in next week but they said I would have to pay for about 2 hrs of labor or around $150. Were you charged for labor as well?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com