Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Raptor 700 v. DS 650x  (Read 9032 times)
Anoriginal

« on: April 10, 2006, 09:09:54 AM »

Recently, I sold my Banshee and purchased a new Brute Force 750i. I love the Brute Force and it makes sense for me as I will use it to travel in to and out of my camp in the Big Cypress at times when I don't need my buggy.

However, this past weekend, I rode Ocala with Chillinthemost and realized I need another sport bike as well as my Brute Force. Granted, everyone in our group (with the exception of one) rode utility bikes and Chillin drove the Rhino. However, high speed sections and long whoops are not best taken on a Brute Force.

Therefore, I've decided to buy yet another bike. I'm struggling with which one to buy and have narrowed it down to either a new Raptor 700 or a new DS650x. I can tell you, I am leaning toward the Raptor. However, I've heard great things about the DS650. I am not concerned about being the fastest or racing the bike. I can hold my own as long as the bike is up for it. Mind you, I am 6'3" and 300+ lbs. Therefore, the bike need sot be a big one.

I'd appreciate any constructive comments on both bikes from folks who have/do own[ed] or ride/ridden each bike. I figure I'll buy within the next 3-4 weeks. My riding style is basically the same as Chillin's; however, I probably won't be doing many FTR races. I love high speed trails, massive hill climbs and the occasional fling on a MX track.

Thanks for the comments!
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 09:17:07 AM »

Between those two I would take the Raptor hands down. It is more than 100 pounds lighter, is lower to the ground and handles better. The DS650 isn't good for the woods or MX. It is for dunes and desert. It is too tall, too heavy and too wide. I forgot to add I never rode the Raptor but i have the DS650. I didn't like it one bit. Compared to my 450R I thought it was dangerous for my riding style.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 09:18:58 AM by TRX450R_Racer » Logged

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
DZ 350
Supreme Member

Lift Your Truck, Fat Chicks Cant Jump

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 09:29:53 AM »

i have rode the raptor 700r and love it !! it is perfect, my friend who has it flys over the whoops and it handels great, i also like the DS650 but seeing how big u are i would probly check out that DS650 because i think it sits higher and probly handel better with you on the whoops and going over some hills and many other things, good luck on deciding on which quad u will purchase,

thanks, dustin

-05 raptor Alot of Stuff done to it ( FOR SALE !!!!! )

-98' CHEVY 4X4 SILVERADO W/ TO MUCH TO LIST !

-2007 RINCON 680 4X4 W/ WARN BUMPER, HMF PIPE, AND 26" OUTLAWS

-1987 Jeep Wrangler On 44" tractor Tires ( For Sale )

-2001 F-150 on 9" lift 36" TSL's (For Sale)
Southern4x4
Supreme Member

Turn off them blinkers to save blinker fluid.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 04:24:23 PM »

my friend has a DS and itS GOT POWER THE THING WANTS TO WHEELIE when u give it gas stock Shocked

[><]Southern by the grace of God[><]
Quad32x
Supreme Member

Work My Sausage !

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 04:50:23 PM »

The  DS  would  be  more  apt  to  take  your  weight  but  I  think  the  Rappy  would  be  better  overall.   Next  time  ya  see  Matt  thump  him  on  the  noggin  for  me. Wink Grin

Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32
Alba450
Supreme Member

When in doubt lock em' up!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 05:08:58 PM »

I've owned a Raptor 700R and it is a great bike!!  The power on the Raptor is B@ll to the Walls power Cool

Thanks to my Sponsors at.....

***OMF Performance***
***Liquid Performance***
***Fasst Flexx Handlebars***
***Laeger's Racing***
***AMSOIL Racing***
***VORTEX Racing***
***PowerMadd Handgaurds***

"Your mom? Yeah I know her. She took more shots in the mouth than Stallone in Rocky III"
wheelie_boy
Supreme Member

Its Fast

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 05:42:58 PM »

Just from what i have read in dirtwheels i would say that the raptor would be the better choice.  It seems to have a load of power and is very light.

05 kx 250f
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 05:43:51 PM »

rappy Smiley
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 08:22:19 PM »

I would wait because I heard that Harley is coming out with a bike for big "husky" guys Kiss it is going to be a 6 stroke and will have leaf spring suspension and dual wheels in the rear. GIT IT RAG

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
eric
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 01:08:12 AM »

I had an 01' DS 650 for a few months but it just wasn't something good for the tight trails and you can forget about Croom. The DS has tons of power but the Raptor seems to hit harder because it was so much lighter and turned much sharper. If I were racing flat out the stability of the DS would be great. Other than that idk what to tell you other than go with the Yamaha.
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 01:10:03 AM »

I would wait because I heard that Harley is coming out with a bike for big "husky" guys Kiss it is going to be a 6 stroke and will have leaf spring suspension and dual wheels in the rear. GIT IT RAG
gonna be a big wait Cheesy
Anoriginal

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 08:20:41 AM »

I'm not husky, I'm just big boned. Besides, Chillin's just mad because: (a) I can eat more wings than he can; and (b) I wouldn't give him any of my strawberry crepes at Bob Evan's.

Thanks for the comments folks. I am going with a raptor.
CABLEGUY1
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 07:32:03 PM »

Not so fast. For a bigger man the DS is the way to go for comfort hands down. I'm not sure if there is a big difference size wise between the Raptor 660 and the 700 but I have ridden my brothers 660 and I own a DS. The Raptor seems small after riding the DS. You can keep it pegged thru the whoops on the DS if you have the nuts and the power band is like nothing else in it's class. HOWEVER,it is a heavy bike without reverse and it sinks like an anchor in the mud but for the big man it's like a caddillac on steroids. I'm 6ft 2 and 245 lbs and it's perfect for me. Everything else I have ridden "honda 400,,Z400,Predator,Raptor,Scrambler 400 Warrior etc seem very small and harder to control for me personally. Maybe I'm just too used to the power to weight ratio and feel more comfortable on my DS so it's all in my head.LOL. You are welcome to try mine before you buy if you like.
raptor426

Its 5'oclock somewhere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 09:42:57 PM »

Raptor 700R all the way!

2005 Yamaha Raptor 660r #26:AC grab bar, Alba Pro Elite nerfs, Uni filter, UM full body skid, AC swingarm skid, White Bros R4 slipon
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 660:27" Mudlites, 12" C-series rims, 2500# winch
2003 Yamaha YZ426F:stock
2002 Honda Rancher:27"Mudlites
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400
Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 10:09:30 PM »

I own a Raptor 700r, I personally think the DS would be the right quad for ya.  The raptor max weight for a rider is 220.  Now, if you buy custom shocks like Elkas that are custom made for your weight and riding conditions, then I would say get the Raptor.  I have to get custom shocks because my weight is 165 and the quad with all the power mods throws me around like a rag doll on the hoops .  The DS weighs almost like a utility quad.  Good luck on your decision

Anoriginal

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 07:51:34 AM »

Thanks guys for the responses. I appreciate it very much.
Cableguy, that's cool of you to offer the opportunity to ride your DS. If I can arrange it, I'll take you up on that offer.

You guys have given me more to consider. I honestly think I need to ride both bikes before buying.

Thanks again.
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 08:42:32 AM »

I love the Rappy but was wondering why you overlooked the KFX 700. It's a big quad that has a lot of power. It's also automatic. I know several people that own them and love them. Just a thought. Good luck in your deceision making.

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
Smoknbanshee
Supreme Member

When the green light drops, all bull$hit stops!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 08:52:43 AM »

i know cutngrs is tied up with the kids and softball and baseball, but hit him up and ride his.  he is 240 lbs and goes to hard rock with his son and rides the courses there and he loves his DS.  i would ride the ds before i made my decision.  yo chillin, how you/family doing?  haven't seen you guys in forever.

Team FBI (Florida Boy's Inc.)
A$$ Crack Racing
Choke on my Smoke!
backinsaddle

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 12:11:16 PM »

I'm not a Bombardier fan at all, and think the Raptor is a better choice for most people, but in your case, I have to agree with cableguy and a few others...it's very likely the right machine for you
Anoriginal

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2006, 01:59:13 PM »

I tell you guys, I really like the way the Raptor looks verses the DS. The KFX is okay, but I ride a bit more aggressive than it's capable.  I really think I need to ride a DS before making up my mind.

Thanks again guys.
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2006, 10:03:18 PM »

i know cutngrs is tied up with the kids and softball and baseball, but hit him up and ride his.  he is 240 lbs and goes to hard rock with his son and rides the courses there and he loves his DS.  i would ride the ds before i made my decision.  yo chillin, how you/family doing?  haven't seen you guys in forever.
We are all doing great, Smoke. Thanks for asking. How is married life? I see you have your toys for sale, whats up with that?

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2006, 10:14:51 PM »

O.K, For starters, I dont think you`ll have much fun replacing belts on the trails with the Kfx !!!
 Now on the other hand I do own a ds650 also, and for a man your size it rides like a cadillac !!!, You are welcome to ride mine anytime, all the power you will ever need, I will line it up with any rapturd 700 anytime. I have not been beat by one yet, except for Chillin on his Yfz450??
   You all know that I have one, must have gotten lost in the Banshee senerio somewhere, But let me know if you want and you can get up on it anytime ( only cause you know chillin) or everybody would be calling  Wink

The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2006, 11:06:53 PM »

Don, I told him that I have ridden yours and it was nice. I'll be up riding you know where in the next month or so and maybe you can ride with us and he could give it a try.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Im@cracker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2006, 11:17:42 PM »

Go with the Raptor!

[attachment deleted by admin]

dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile