Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Key  (Read 4002 times)
WPBSMOKA

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2006, 01:42:50 PM »

Just picked my bike up from the shop, must not have put my only key all the way in the ignition.  Just unloaded it and key is nowhere to be found  Huh   Have my title and everything, anyone know somewhere that cuts atv keys with a VIN?  Or who to contact about attaining a new one.  Honda 400ex '04.  Palm Beach area.

'04 400ex, frequently bent handlebars, bent bumper, torn seat, rusty chain and some abused plastics

atvtrailer
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 02:51:25 PM »

do you have the ID # on your key,  because if u do then u could just go to honda and tell them what it is and they will give u the key (ie. d22)
if you bought it new, then it should be written somewhere on the paperwork

05 450r #13B
WPBSMOKA

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 03:11:34 PM »

Yes I did purchase new.  Just went through my paperwork and can't find anything similar to your example.    I see where it says key number, but nothing is printed unfortunately Angry Cry  Thanks though.

'04 400ex, frequently bent handlebars, bent bumper, torn seat, rusty chain and some abused plastics

atvtrailer
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 03:15:14 PM »

also, u could try unplugging the keyswitch and taking it down to the honda shop and see if they could look it up by the #'s on the keyswitch and see if they could match up which key works, they should be able to get the key just by the vin# on the bike also

05 450r #13B
WPBSMOKA

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 03:17:32 PM »

They gave me a number to a locksmith that supposively can cut atv key's with a VIN( doesn't make me feel safe at how easy it would be to get a key if this is true).  But they are closed today.  I will try that if it is not possible to get one made tomorrow.

WPBSMOKA

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 09:00:50 AM »

OK, they cannot cut with only a VIN.  You do need a code.  Looks like some more down time. Cry Cry

Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 09:53:50 AM »

You can buy a new igniton switch for around $30-$40.
I had a shop lose my key a few years ago and thats what he did.

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
WPBSMOKA

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 01:42:06 PM »

Thanks for all your help guys.  I am going to purchase a new truck shortly, so it may be a few days before I come back saying I can't figure out how to remove or reinstall the switch.  (You can almost count on me being back) Wink

yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 02:38:40 PM »

If you unplug the ignition and take it to the locksmith he can take it apart and key it and make you a couple. I have done that to a couple of mine before. It will be cheaper then the whole ignition.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
WPBSMOKA

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 11:27:05 PM »

Right on.  I will be ripping that bad boy out WED. I am truly thankful for this site, being pretty ignorant to everything with mechanics and learning on my own.  I guess I'm not alone anymore.   Grin

300EXRACER

LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO LIVE

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 12:46:23 AM »

i had wanted to get a spare key for my 300ex so i took out the ignition and right on the ignition cylinder theres a series of numbers, you write them down and bring them to honda and they make yu they key.

hope this helps yu
cuz you definetly dont need a whole new ignition.

WPBSMOKA

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 03:14:17 PM »

I actually just had a death in my family.  I got into TN at 4 am.  That information was helpful thank you.  I'll let you guys know the outcome once I return and have the time to work on it.  Thanks again

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com