Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some opinions on a New ATV  (Read 14461 times)
TxsRanger99

GO SEMINOLES!!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2006, 02:21:45 PM »

I currently have a 2005 Honda Rancher AT 400. Starting to get really annoyed with performace and service issues with this bike and I am considering getting something else. I just bought it at the end of August and it is getting ready to go back for the 3rd warranty problem. 1.) Would not shift. shift solenoid had to be cleaned and resealed. 2.) rear seal went bad and had to be replaced along with the pull starter after all the oil ran out the back side of the motor during a ride !!!! Now every time I get past say half throttle or if I'm  climbing something there is a loud clanking noise coming from the front of the engine/transmission. It's only 5 Months Old !!!!!!

I am thinking about maybe moving to yahama like the 400- 500 cc area or maybe the polaris sportsman 500 efi. Can y'all please give me some ideas about why you purchased and still love the bike you are riding. I dont want to move to something else I will have problems with. I like riding in the mud ofcourse (like L-cross) but also do some trail riding on private property and have been to ocala a few times riding.

Thanks for any help y'all can provide,
                                                     Dave
rubicon500kid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 04:26:29 PM »

dang that must suck  i love my rancher i would go with the new rincon they r so nice and ride good 

DROP & DESTROY
87 s10 2/3 soon to be bagged
85 honda 110 atc(22" bearclaws & snorkeld)
01 kx 125 (pc pipe,tag bar's,pro racing rear rim,some lil other stuff
I hate it when you microwave something, then you start eating it, and it's cold in the middle...makes me wanna punch a
2006YFZ450
Supreme Member

YFZ 450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 07:54:59 PM »

Check out the YAMAHA '06 Wolverine 450 4X4 Wink

qt314nfla

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 08:02:28 PM »

Check out the YAMAHA '06 Wolverine 450 4X4 Wink

I can't believe I'm going to say this but what he said.  I have a 99 wolverine.  I absolutely love it and will buy another when I get money together or need another one.

As for why I love it.....where to start.
1. Easy to work on very little plastic to deal w/.  Also, it's a simple engine.  Nothing is complicated on it and everything is easy to get to.
2. Light weight.  It's easy to throw around when needed in mudholes or on the trail.
3. It can run through almost any mudhole that the big utes go through.
4.  W/ the 424 I can throw it around like a sport quad also.

Downside....
1. Yamaha's go through rear brakes.  Especially if you spend alot of time in the mud.
2. Well, I can't think of any other downsides right now.
kfx400rob
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 08:03:02 PM »

06 wolverine!!!  Wink

06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 08:06:25 PM »

I can't believe I'm going to say this but what he said.  I have a 99 wolverine.  I absolutely love it and will buy another when I get money together or need another one.

As for why I love it.....where to start.
1. Easy to work on very little plastic to deal w/.  Also, it's a simple engine.  Nothing is complicated on it and everything is easy to get to.
2. Light weight.  It's easy to throw around when needed in mudholes or on the trail.
3. It can run through almost any mudhole that the big utes go through.
4.  W/ the 424 I can throw it around like a sport quad also.

Downside....
1. Yamaha's go through rear brakes.  Especially if you spend alot of time in the mud.
2. Well, I can't think of any other downsides right now.

To make things clear I will ellaborate on point 1 & 4 on the good list.

1. Plastics. The 2006 models have ALOT more plastic than previous models. They are very nice plastics though, no cheap plastic clips, everything is stainless screws/bolts.

4. 424, the previous models needed the 424 system to take the quad out of 4wd. The 2006 have push button 4wd. it is not the quickest pushbutton and takes a few seconds.

I got an 06 wolvy for my fiancee and she LOVES it. It followed my vinson with mud tires everywhere I went, even in deep water.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
2006YFZ450
Supreme Member

YFZ 450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 08:23:52 PM »

Im telling you Go and check out a '06 Wolverine Cool  I sat on it at the dealer and thought I was on a Sport Bike/Ute....It is very very comfortable.  Anyways long story short it's a good quad Thumbs Up

Keeter
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

I'm Not! You go first!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 09:45:57 PM »

Well, I have learned a lot  about my 06 Polaris Sportsman over the last few rides. The ride delievered through the independant suspension front and rear provides a smooth non-jarring ride. A great ride. Handles awesome, uneven terrain does not through you around. The real AWD is incredible. When you are in AWD all 4 wheels turn it is not a limited slip. Down side because of the posi front end turning is tough. Also the 720 pounds is an issue. If you get stuck dont  bother getting muddy trying to push or pull yourself out you are really STUCK. Grab a rope and release the winch. I wanted a great ride and got it from the Polaris. I am sure after I put on some bigger tires the bike will be a better all around bike. If mudding is what you plan on doing the majority of the time look at the weight of the bike. Tires make a big difference also. Comfort is important also. Just my 2 cents

2019 Can Am 850 XMR
kfx400rob
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 07:28:47 PM »

my mom has the 06 wolverine and its a blast to ride, it feels kinda like a sport when u ride it, yet its a 4x4, id say it handles alittle better then a 250ex, but thats jus cuz it wieghs alot, and it tops out at about 55, in a drag stock to stock it keeps up with my kfx400 till 5th, the suspension is also prety sporty, the back bottoms a little easy tho its a great all around bike i think...  Wink

06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.
wheelie_boy
Supreme Member

Its Fast

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 07:47:56 PM »

My buddy has a bombardier outlander 400, and i love the quad. When you hit the throttle the rear end squats and you pick up speed very fast.  IRS very nice.  And it does good in the mud.  Havent ridden it enough for any more info so thats juss a suggestion.  i love the quad

05 kx 250f
DZ 350
Supreme Member

Lift Your Truck, Fat Chicks Cant Jump

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 11:08:06 AM »

get the new recon 650 or the rancher or the forman 500! ethier one of those.

-05 raptor Alot of Stuff done to it ( FOR SALE !!!!! )

-98' CHEVY 4X4 SILVERADO W/ TO MUCH TO LIST !

-2007 RINCON 680 4X4 W/ WARN BUMPER, HMF PIPE, AND 26" OUTLAWS

-1987 Jeep Wrangler On 44" tractor Tires ( For Sale )

-2001 F-150 on 9" lift 36" TSL's (For Sale)
rubicon500kid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 12:34:59 PM »

if u ride in mud the Wolverines are not geard for big tires the rancher is geard better then the Wolverines and the rancher isnt gread low at all
stick with honda

DROP & DESTROY
87 s10 2/3 soon to be bagged
85 honda 110 atc(22" bearclaws & snorkeld)
01 kx 125 (pc pipe,tag bar's,pro racing rear rim,some lil other stuff
I hate it when you microwave something, then you start eating it, and it's cold in the middle...makes me wanna punch a
Dr.Dirt
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 01:19:14 PM »

if u ride in mud the Wolverines are not geard for big tires the rancher is geard better then the Wolverines and the rancher isnt gread low at all
stick with honda
I think he wants a Yamaha because his Honda sucks.
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 06:44:03 PM »

I purchased a new polaris 500 HO because I had owned a 2000 model 325 and it served me well and I ride hard. Just needed a little more power. I had 26 inch mud bug tires on the 325 and liked them so well that I put them on the 500. I have also told several people about the mudbugs and they also like them.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
kfx400rob
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 06:54:04 PM »

stick with honda

wolverines may not be the best if u just want it for mud, but the wolverine is a great all around quad, and it has plenty of power Wink

06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.
blackhammockmudder

polaris sportsmen 500 4x4 bf goodwrinch rawhides

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 08:25:09 PM »

i go with a polaris sportemen 500 or 800 thos are some bad a$$ fourwheelers
Want2Ride2

ASK ME ABOUT METAL ROOFING

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 08:39:11 PM »

I own a polaris Sportsman 500HO, and its the best

2001 Polaris Sportsman 500HO 4x4
WAKORB

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 09:55:43 PM »

i go with a polaris sportemen 500 or 800 thos are some bad a$$ fourwheelers

hey  man where do you ride in jax?
qt314nfla

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 10:53:54 PM »

I own a polaris Sportsman 500HO, and its the best

No offense but you just got your quad w/in the last 2 weeks.  I know you love your quad like most of us.  However, most of us that are donating comments have been on our quads for over a year and have had experience on several other quads.  Nothing is the best....all quads have short comings in one way or another and seat time is the only way to know them.  Get some more seat time in then comment. 
big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 07:00:32 AM »

the new Wolverine Sport/ute are for all types of riding. the 2006 have low 4wd drive, the down side of the older ones. plus IRS suspension! Good choice there Cody. Wink

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
BCConviber
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2006, 08:31:43 AM »

Just go ahead and get a Grizzly. Then you can pull all the 2000 # Polaris' out of the mud... right after you pass them!  Wink

2007 660 Rhino Sport
2007 700 Grizzly, Realtree camo
**FMR FOR LIFE**
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2006, 09:03:02 AM »

It would be best to ride a few before you make a decision. The polaris is a cadillac when it comes to comfort. On the trailrides at L-Cross my polaris is pulling them all through the good stuff and most of the time I am playing in two wheel drive where those others are in 4WD. You cannot beat a good set of tires if your gonna play in the good stuff. One thing to look at in the wolverine is that it is all time 4wd and you will get tired of riding it unless you put an UNlocker in the front end.  You already have a HONDA so I would not go with what I have had a bad experience with.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2006, 02:57:52 PM »

It would be best to ride a few before you make a decision. The polaris is a cadillac when it comes to comfort. On the trailrides at L-Cross my polaris is pulling them all through the good stuff and most of the time I am playing in two wheel drive where those others are in 4WD. You cannot beat a good set of tires if your gonna play in the good stuff. One thing to look at in the wolverine is that it is all time 4wd and you will get tired of riding it unless you put an UNlocker in the front end.  You already have a HONDA so I would not go with what I have had a bad experience with.

Not the new ones Yunt... Electric shift 2wd and 4wd with 4wd low

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
kfx400rob
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2006, 08:47:17 PM »

Not the new ones Yunt... Electric shift 2wd and 4wd with 4wd low

actualy there is no low 4wd, but it is a push button "on comand" 4wd, and its not electric shift, its cvt auto, idk if thats what u meant or not but theres a difference

06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.
Want2Ride2

ASK ME ABOUT METAL ROOFING

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2006, 09:35:47 PM »

I've riden a polaris for many years and other quads and i still think the polaris is the best, thats my opinions. My son had a honda and it stayed in the shop most of the time. He now has a polaris 325. And Loves it.

2001 Polaris Sportsman 500HO 4x4
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com