Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Ocala Nat'l. Forest Decision Announced  (Read 25617 times)
LT-R450ApK
Supreme Member

Dont Become the Pink Panther

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2006, 05:46:58 PM »

I'm with Dreth on this one, the whoops suck and they destroy our machines. Please note the numerous references in the Plan to periodically re-evaluate the trails. They're suggesting that if environmental damage continues and unauthorized areas/trail use violations continue, they'll close more areas/trails. So, I say let's prove them wrong by obeying the rules while constantly asking for more trails. It's a hobby for 99.9% of us, not a source of income. So, don't ruin it for us all.

Not to sound like a thingy but its a 4-wheeler not a daily driver if your worried about your machine than maybe keep it in the garage and not ride it,These machines are designed for this type of conditions,You said it best its a hobby,Myself Personally  More than likely will not Ride ONF when this Go's into Full Swing,Scrub is bad enough with the whoops and people being idiots,Now Take away the whoops put all of them on One trail system,What do you GET?? a Bunch Of Morons Hauling Azz in Every Direction W/ you and your Kids,Love ones and Family STUCK in the MIDLE OF IT!! FATALITY CITY IMO

Zuk 4Fiddy Lots O Stuff
Faster to list whats stock
eric
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2006, 05:52:19 PM »

Maybe when they are done using that huge bombing range one day we could claim that place for off road vehicles? Bet they have the nicest hills in all FL in there Wink
shackles

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2006, 06:36:40 PM »

The Ocala Star Banner and THe ORlando Sentinel should have the ad out in Saturdays paper.  Everyone is jumping the gun on this.  I know one of the rangers that works the scrub area and she says the initial trails are just that.  There will eventually be 140 miles of trails throughout the forest but initially they will be in the Delancy area and in the Paisely area.  They have to start somewhere and they know it will be a slow process but the trail system will expand.  They are really determined to provide trails for us but it will take time.  She said they have had tons of input from atv/jeep folks and this was the agreed upon option by those who were involved.
shackles

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2006, 06:41:25 PM »

The trails will be one direction- so no more head on collisions.

I'm with Dreth on this one, the whoops suck and they destroy our machines. Please note the numerous references in the Plan to periodically re-evaluate the trails. They're suggesting that if environmental damage continues and unauthorized areas/trail use violations continue, they'll close more areas/trails. So, I say let's prove them wrong by obeying the rules while constantly asking for more trails. It's a hobby for 99.9% of us, not a source of income. So, don't ruin it for us all.

Not to sound like a thingy but its a 4-wheeler not a daily driver if your worried about your machine than maybe keep it in the garage and not ride it,These machines are designed for this type of conditions,You said it best its a hobby,Myself Personally  More than likely will not Ride ONF when this Go's into Full Swing,Scrub is bad enough with the whoops and people being idiots,Now Take away the whoops put all of them on One trail system,What do you GET?? a Bunch Of Morons Hauling Azz in Every Direction W/ you and your Kids,Love ones and Family STUCK in the MIDLE OF IT!! FATALITY CITY IMO
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2006, 06:52:07 PM »

Thats not true the trails will be 2 way. What stinks is that ATVers want challenges: mud, water, hills, some kind of obsticles. Riding on a trail through the woods is OK but it gets boring if there is no fun destinations.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
FREEK

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2006, 06:55:27 PM »

Maybe when they are done using that huge bombing range one day we could claim that place for off road vehicles? Bet they have the nicest hills in all FL in there Wink

UMMM ...What about all the unexploded ordinance?Huh NO THANKXXXX!!!!
eric
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2006, 06:57:18 PM »

UMMM ...What about all the unexploded ordinance?Huh NO THANKXXXX!!!!

LOL, true but I hope some of the new trails at least lead us to some clay pits or something fun.
shackles

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2006, 06:59:21 PM »

They will be one way trails-except for the people who screw up and go the wrong way.
shackles

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2006, 07:05:10 PM »

One of the things that stinks is that apparently only Rodman pit will be open-no other pits- and it already gets nuts in there. 
eric
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2006, 07:10:53 PM »

One of the things that stinks is that apparently only Rodman pit will be open-no other pits- and it already gets nuts in there. 

I am kinda surprised Eureka Dam is not listed as a trailhead. That is a great place to ride out from. It seems like they are really trying to keep riders away from any water and wetlands if you look at the map.
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2006, 07:47:00 PM »

They will be one way trails-except for the people who screw up and go the wrong way.

Where do you get that info from. Its not what I was told.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
LT-R450ApK
Supreme Member

Dont Become the Pink Panther

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2006, 08:31:04 PM »

I'm with Chillin on this!! Also how would that Regulate that? i dont see the State hiring a 100 or morepeople to patrol everyday,What if you quad brakes,Run out of Gas,Wreck or something of that nature? now you have to go another 130 miles ir whatever it maybe before your back at your truck or car?

Zuk 4Fiddy Lots O Stuff
Faster to list whats stock
shackles

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2006, 08:48:12 PM »

The rangers at Scrub told us when we were there at Thanksgving. 

needforspeed

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2006, 08:51:14 PM »

It seems like everyone is hashing out old stuff here. The trail system is going in no matter what. If it is 20 miles of trails or 100 miles of trails, perhaps were lucky there is trails at all. I get the feeling from reading the record of decision that they can still close the forest at anytime, that will always be on the table. I also get the feeling from the rangers, etc.. that they really don't want this system to work.. The trail system has worked out west in Idaho. In California they closed all the trail systems and ran off with all the money they collected from licensing the ATV's. In Connecticut I believe they had the trail systems in private parks and forest I think open for two years then just decided to close them all. I get the feeling that is what will happen in Ocala National Forest. After 6 months or a year the forest service will have proof that the system is not working and close the whole forest anyway. So the bottom line is you better enjoy it now..
shackles

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2006, 08:56:55 PM »

Come on- do you really think they'd make one big 140 mile trail- you'd never get back even if your quad didn't break or run out of gas.  You need to stop and ask some questions to the rangers.  I've heard a lot of complaints about them but when you stop and talk to them they're pretty cool and are jsut trying to do their jobs.  SOme of them are atv/jeep riders and are volunteers trying to get everyone to play fair so the forest stays open.
I'm with Chillin on this!! Also how would that Regulate that? i dont see the State hiring a 100 or morepeople to patrol everyday,What if you quad brakes,Run out of Gas,Wreck or something of that nature? now you have to go another 130 miles ir whatever it maybe before your back at your truck or car?
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

ONFA President, Florida OHV Rec Committee Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2006, 08:01:28 AM »

The trails will be 2 way.  The reason the Eureka pit is not mentioned in the report is that it is not part of the ONF.  It is Greenway land and not under their control.  The Forestry service has provided a multi=usr trail across the road and is hoping the greenway people will leave the pit open to riders.

2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
LakeMaryKid
Supreme Member

Just a good ole' boy never meanin no harm.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2006, 08:29:56 AM »

Sounds pretty crappy. Sorry to say but you will never be able to regulate everyone to one trail system. Even if they did, it would just be a solid line of quads. No one would ever have fun except the ones who like to putt. The forest is soo big that they will NEVER be able to regulate to one trail. Even if they close down people will still take off into the woods where ever they desire. Will I? Probably. Constricting to one trail system is rediculous.

2003 KFX 400
1994 F-150 - 12" SAS 38.5 Boggers
2007 F-150 Supercrew FX4 Luxury
2004 14' Mirrocraft
LakeMaryKid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2006, 10:31:14 AM »

Ok, well my question is then is it gonna be just one trail straight through? Will there be pits along the trail? Will there be side trails? I mean come on a 2 way trail and its the only one you can ride. Hmmm you get someone haulin it in say 3rd or 4th gear come along then you get some drunk redneck no helmet on a ute with the 12 pack on the rack haulin the opposite direction......hmmm you fill in the blanks. Sorry but i dont think i will ride it because i DONT want to become a STATISTIC.

2003 KFX 400
2004 14' Mirrocraft
LakeMaryKid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2006, 12:46:22 PM »

As an OHV Volunteer, I will try to answer this. There will be trails, not just one big loop. There will be side trials, intersections, etc.. There will not be any pits, or mud holes, if you will notice the map keeps you out of the wet areas. That is not to say somewhere in the future you may get a mud hole.

There is discussion on how the upper managment is going to keep the speeds down, not quite sure yet. The trails will be groomed, how often, it is hard to tell untill the actual system is working.

I agree with you I wouldn't want to become a statistic either. As I said before you have been riding the trails and not knowing it.

I hope I answered your questions.
So in other words, we will have a "allotted amount" of acreage we can ride on? If it wont be one straight loop then where will the other trails lead to?Wow speed limits? Might as well buy an enduro bike, same concept isnt it? They gonna have "fuzz" out there behind blinds with radar guns? Sorry to say but they will never be able to keep it all contained to one trail. May as well sell my bike now to some sucker who will find out the hard way in a few years that there is no where to ride. Will the hunters still have "free reign" of the woods with their trucks when they hunt?

PS: I am not trying to degrade you for your actions, as you are tryin to do all you can to get us places to ride im just doing a lil Q and A.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 12:48:31 PM by LakeMaryKid » Logged

2003 KFX 400
2004 14' Mirrocraft
LakeMaryKid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2006, 01:20:21 PM »

Ok well i guess i will just have to wait and see what its like then. Will the hunters still have "free reign" of the woods with their trucks when they hunt?

2003 KFX 400
2004 14' Mirrocraft
Shorgasm

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2006, 02:30:47 PM »

Everyone has a "right" to the forest...I for one find it awesome we have a place this huge to play in.On the other hand I would Like (some) state interaction.For safety and piece of mind.

We go ride waaaaay down from Big Scrub on the power lines.No way in heck you will find me or my buddies up in that disaster of an area.The whoops are outta control.They take the fun out of getting to the fun parts.Some ehwoops are cool but holy crap 10 miles of the stuff is stupid.

Next, The forest is far too large to control.Yes you might get caught for runnig on a numbered road but rarely will you get in trouble...think about it.We go out in the side trails and take off...almost never see anyone else.You think a patrol or trail closure is goona effect that?..doubtful.

The only way you are gonna control people out there is to be where they park their vehicles...Set the rules right there so everyone knows.This makes it bearable and realistic.

Plus, how much money do you think the Florida is gonna pump into this...Cops an such are expensive as is the upkeep and maintence of the trail "system"....good and bad to that one I guess.
LakeMaryKid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2006, 04:53:03 PM »

It is my understanding that they will also have to obey the trail system, both ATV and Truck. They will still be in the woods, but remember, you have the forest 11 months out of the year, 1 month of curtosey isn't gonna hurt. Everyone is going to have to work together and that means everyone that uses the forest for this to work.

Oh by the way Rodman, is going to stay Rodman. One day I am sure we will cross paths.. If I am working look for a bright green T-Shirt that says OHV Volunteer.
Everyone has a "right" to the forest...I for one find it awesome we have a place this huge to play in.On the other hand I would Like (some) state interaction.For safety and piece of mind.

We go ride waaaaay down from Big Scrub on the power lines.No way in heck you will find me or my buddies up in that disaster of an area.The whoops are outta control.They take the fun out of getting to the fun parts.Some ehwoops are cool but holy crap 10 miles of the stuff is stupid.

Next, The forest is far too large to control.Yes you might get caught for runnig on a numbered road but rarely will you get in trouble...think about it.We go out in the side trails and take off...almost never see anyone else.You think a patrol or trail closure is goona effect that?..doubtful.

The only way you are gonna control people out there is to be where they park their vehicles...Set the rules right there so everyone knows.This makes it bearable and realistic.

Plus, how much money do you think the Florida is gonna pump into this...Cops an such are expensive as is the upkeep and maintence of the trail "system"....good and bad to that one I guess.

Very well said, ok so pretty much its gonna be say an 8 foot wide trail or so? Im not complaining about hunters as i am one, but i was wondering if they had to stay on this trail also.

2003 KFX 400
2004 14' Mirrocraft
GrizzlyBear
Supreme Member

ONFA President, Florida OHV Rec Committee Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2006, 05:04:35 PM »

Hondaxrl is right.  Both he and I volunteer. It has been our mission to make as many people aware of what is going on as possible.  We are open to suggestions. This is a good forum to tell us how we can do it better .

2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org
MAV400

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2006, 07:02:55 PM »

I have a ?. In the map the black dotted lines that interconnected the new ATV/MC proposed trails. Are we allowed to ride in there?. I think the map says is for multiple use. Can you guys explain OHV Volunteers since you guys are involved and providing good info to all of us. All I have to say is that we need to follow the rules so they can open more areas for riding. If we break the rules that is going to lead us nowhere.
shackles

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2006, 07:38:52 PM »

Hey, you were right after all.  I called the ranger district this morning and the ranger said the trails will be "non-directional", not one directional- meaning 2 way traffic.  Sorry 'bout that- I sure don't want to spread the wrong info.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com