Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the importance of helmets  (Read 6678 times)
warrior123

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2005, 06:40:44 PM »

in the past 2 days i have had it reiterated to me the importance of helmets and i just wanted to share it with everyone... yesterday i was going to my moms house , had just finished a hard days work, we pulled into the neighborhood and a 7 yr old kid ran a stop sign on his 80cc something or another ran into my trailer by the time i noticed him all i could do was speed up to try to get outta his way he smacked into my trailer so i slammed on the brakes he went over the trailer and tumbled into a ditch smacked his head on the culvert... life flighted out with a concussion and the bones in his leg crossed had to go into emaergency surgery... that was yesterday.    today we were at 5a (mims) a guy on a dirtbike hit a jump landed in water and went over the handle bars again no helmet taken to the hospital... man only if both of them would have been wearing helmets they prob wouldnt have been as serious......    wow what a weekend
customrubicon
Supreme Member

It's Time To ride, B4 The Mud Gets Dry !!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 06:43:23 PM »

wow that sucks. Hope they both will be ok.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/customrubicon/fmrsig-2.jpg

2003 rubicon
2002 kingquad
2004 LRX 90
2004 LRX 50
1979 bronco
2004 rhino
cain73
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 06:46:53 PM »

Absolutely tragic. Helmets save lives and there is no reason to not wear one. I hope they both get well.

floridaatv.com come join the fun
warrior123

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 06:55:42 PM »

is it that the kids parents didnt care enough to make him     1.)slow down 2.)wear a helmet?    while i was awaiting the arrival of fhp i had prob 40 people stop and tell me how the 2 kids have been racing around the corners blowing the stop signs with no helmets... then the trooper couldnt find a serial number on the bike and just let it go
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 05:41:04 AM »

is it that the kids parents didnt care enough to make him     1.)slow down 2.)wear a helmet?    while i was awaiting the arrival of fhp i had prob 40 people stop and tell me how the 2 kids have been racing around the corners blowing the stop signs with no helmets... then the trooper couldnt find a serial number on the bike and just let it go

40 people and noone stopped to talk to them about running the stop signs. If the parents did not get onto them someone should have stop and spoke to them about it or maybe even spoke to their parents or called FHP themselves. People need to get involved.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
BEER

BEER !!!! It's whats for dinner........

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 05:57:37 AM »

20 years ago a helmet saved my life.A coulple weeks ago my son 8 and my neighbors son 5 wanted to ride thier bicycles but the 5 year old had no helmet so I said he can ware my sons bicycle helmet and I let my son ware my motorcycle helmet,which actually fit pretty good.10 min later he came in the garage and said he busted and hit face first on the chin gaurd on pavement and put a good gouge on it.I was so glad he had my full face helmet on, if it were his bicycle helmet,things would have been ugly.

94 GMC 350SS,2003 Corolla(wifes),2001 Sears Lawntractor,4X8 Trailer,1989 17' Sunbird Bowrider W/120hp Johnson,2004 L-4 L-5 Lower Lumbar Laminectomy W/Instrumentation,Discectomy,Fusion W/Cage & Dual Transpendicular Screws & Rods.FEELS GREAT!!!(just add vicodin)But no quad for now,!!!!!!!
QbanATVChick

Newbie to the ATV World

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 12:20:05 PM »

today we were at 5a (mims) a guy on a dirtbike hit a jump landed in water and went over the handle bars again no helmet taken to the hospital... man only if both of them would have been wearing helmets they prob wouldnt have been as serious......    wow what a weekend

Just wanted to add that the guy at 5a that went to the hospital was with us. He is my boyfriend's best friend.  He did break two vertebraes, one in his middle and one in his lower back.  Cry He is doing great though.  Even if he was wearing a helmet, it wouldn't have done no good, because he landed on his shoulders. But what sucks is that he had told us the night before that he was going to get a helmet before meeting us out there, and he never did.  I haven't been riding for long, and I already see the importance of wearing a helmet. You may be the greatest driver, but that doesn't mean anything especially when you are in a terrain that you are not used to.

I just hope that everyone takes this to heart, cause it can happen to anyone.

Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 04:58:18 PM »

Hear is another one. At the sand drags on Sat. after the races were over I was loading up our bikes. I saw my sister in law on my brothers Quadzilla and I told her to put a helmet on if she was going to ride it. They ride utility bikes and think helmets aren't necessary.  So, anyway she said that she was going to go slow and didnt need one, I insisted that no helmet, no ride. Well, she wasnt on it 2 min. and she wiped out big time, I know that that helmet saved her from a helicopter ride or worse. She got away with a double break in her right arm. Bones heal, brains dont.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
warrior123

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 05:12:12 PM »

40 people and noone stopped to talk to them about running the stop signs. If the parents did not get onto them someone should have stop and spoke to them about it or maybe even spoke to their parents or called FHP themselves. People need to get involved.

people did, one of my neighbors told him he needed to be careful and the little kid said "dont you worry about me" very sarcastically...
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 06:06:08 PM »

Riding any ATV, street or dirt bike without a helmet is STUPID. My opinion of course.

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 08:00:27 PM »

Last year at Bad Luck a group of us were riding some of the trails north of the camp site,  when my brother hit a a huge rock while looking back to see if the group was together, going at about 10 MPH he flipped over the handle bars, the helmet hit another huge rock and the bike ran over his upper body and head.  Guess what would of happen if he wasn't wearing his helmet.   WEAR YOUR HELMET !  

raptorboy954

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 03:32:52 PM »

two years ago a friend of mines asked to borrow my 90 just to see how it rode. he looked back to say hi and all of a sudden he fell down a ditch and onto a rock. he fell uncontuos for a little while but luckily he was ok. thank god he was wearing a helmet or else things would have been really ugly.

raptorboy

LOOKING FOR A NEW QUAD
Bigwilly
Supreme Member

Damn I Need 2 Ride More

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 05:45:44 PM »

people did, one of my neighbors told him he needed to be careful and the little kid said "dont you worry about me" very sarcastically...

Well i know this sounds nuts in 2005 but i have walked many a kid to there parents front door & let the parent know the going's on funny thing once a parent ask if i wanted to put the soap in his mouth. Alot of people think "just let me reise my kids" not me if you see my kid being a silly azz please let me know i know for sure i your walking them to my front door there heart rate is high LOL

Ronald Reagan once said "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

Sandmountainspeedway.com

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 07:16:17 PM »

People get upset when we ask them to wear helmets You have opened our eyes. We have a manditory helmet rule  people will have to leave if they dont want to wear one @ SMS. Thankyou
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 07:27:07 PM »

Well as many witnessed my unfortunate incident during the last Rodman ride, I too am thankfull of wearing a helmet. it was to bad  10 miles away from the house and in route to the ride, I realized that I had forgotten our Chest protectors. The thoughts still plauges me today  as to whether or not I would be  nursing this broken Collar bone if I'd only been wearing all me safety gear. :-/ Cry
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 07:37:57 PM by Chuck_Norris » Logged
Gamer

Yamaha 350cc Wolverine 4*4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2005, 07:31:19 PM »

If parents are allowing there kids to ride without a helmet and they sustain a head injury the parents should be charged with neglect.  Same goes for adults not making there kids wear a seatbelt or carseat in an accident.  Most of the time parents are not charged at all.  Its like that accident that happend last fall in Miami with the bus driver that ran the light and hit a van with a mother and 4 children inside.  Even though it was the bus drivers fault the mother did not have any of the kids restrained and I think some were even ejected.  Yet the media trys to make everyone feel sorry for her when most of there injuries could have been prevented with seatbelts.  She's not being charged with anything and is probably going to become a millionaire due to her partial mistake.  Hey I feel bad for the children but I don't feel sorry for the mother at all.
Grizzlygirl

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2005, 05:40:01 AM »

Well my son was riding his scooter home from school about a month ago when a car stopped short in front of him. He pushed to hard on the front brake and the bike flipped over. He is 17 and always wears a helmet, so he only got a few scrapes even though the helmet was pretty scraped up. The police said if he wasn't wearing a helmet we would be airlifting him to the hospital. Two years before his friend was riding a bike just accross the street. No helmet, he was hit by a car and because of no helmet he died at 15, when his head hit the road. He was his parents only  child just something to think about.  
                             Mama Grizz
J.D.
Supreme Member

I can see the concrete slowly creepin .

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2005, 08:52:12 AM »

I wish my dad would have been wearing his helmet . [smiley=angry2.gif]

Arctic Cat 500 man. Dyno Jet , Snoorky , 14's , Cup Holder , Pro-Com CDI , K&N filter , .......To Be Continued ! 2001 Suzuki RM 250 ,Fatty Pipe , FMF muff ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com